Current Rutgers students re-apply for on-campus housing through an annual housing selection process that allows students to search and select a room or apartment online. The entire housing selection process runs from January 13 – March 25. During housing selection, students must first apply for a housing selection number. Participating in the housing selection is required in order for a student to apply to any housing type.
Housing Selection General Information and Policies
Who May Participate
- Full-time, matriculated students currently attending classes on the New Brunswick campus (living on or off campus)
- Students currently in a Rutgers sponsored study abroad program
Obtaining the housing selection number is not binding until you select your space.
How to Obtain a Housing Selection Number
- All eligible students who wish to live on-campus are required to apply for a housing selection number between Monday, January 13 through Tuesday, January 28.
- A confirmation email will then be sent to your email account on file with the Residence Life Assignments Office. If you do not receive an email within 24 hours, please contact the Assignments Office.
- All applicants will receive notification of their housing selection number via email on Thursday, January 30, 2019.
- Once you receive a housing selection number, please be sure to review the housing selection options to know when to participate in each process:
|Application||Sign Up Dates||Notification||Selection||Spaces|
|Singles||Feb 6 – Feb 11||Feb 12||Feb 13||All Campuses|
|Livingston/So Tru/Buell Apartments 4 PEOPLE||Feb 13 – Feb 17||Feb 18||Feb 19 – Feb 20||Livingston, Sojourner Truth, Buell|
|Livingston/So Tru/Buell Apartments 3 PEOPLE||Feb 13 – Feb 17||Feb 21||Feb 22||Livingston, Sojourner Truth, Buell|
|Livingston/So Tru/Buell Apartments 2 PEOPLE||Feb 13 – Feb 17||Feb 24||Feb 25||Livingston, Sojourner Truth, Buell|
|Easton Ave/Busch/Cook Apartments||Feb 13 – Feb 17||Feb 27||Feb 28||University Center at Easton Ave., Nichols, Richardson, Silvers, Newell, Starkey|
|Suites||Mar 2 – Mar 5||Mar 6||Mar 9||Crosby, Judson, McCormick, Morrow, Thomas, Winkler|
|Doubles||Mar 10 – Mar 23||Mar 24||Mar 25||All Campuses|
- Apartments: Groups of two or four interested in a two-single or two-double bedroom (respectively) apartment should review the application procedures and apply by the deadline. Groups of three interested in three-single bedroom apartments in the Livingston & Sojourner Truth Apartments also apply in this process.
- Suites: Groups of six students interested in a Crosby, Judson, Morrow, Thomas, or Winkler Suite on the Busch Campus should review the application procedures and apply by the deadline.
- Doubles: Individual students or a group of two interested in living in an upper-class residence hall on the College Avenue or Livingston Campus should review the application procedures and apply by the deadline.
|Application||Sign Up Dates||Notification||Selection||Spaces|
|B.E.S.T.||Jan 20 – Jan 28||Feb 6||Feb 7||B.E.S.T. Hall|
|Honors Housing 4 PEOPLE||Jan 20 – Jan 28||Jan 31||Feb 3||Sojourner Truth Apts., B.E.S.T. Hall, Newell Apts.|
|Honors Housing 6 PEOPLE||Jan 20 – Jan 28||Feb 4||Feb 5||McCormick Suites|
|Honors Housing 2 PEOPLE||Jan 20 – Jan 28||Feb 5||Feb 6||Campbell, Quad, New Gibbons, Jameson|
|(DRC) Douglass Residential College – Apartments||Jan 20 – Jan 28||Feb 3||Feb 4||Henderson Apts.|
|(DRC) Douglass Residential College – Residence Hall||Jan 20 – Jan 28||Feb 6||Feb 7||Jameson, Woodbury|
|Mason Gross||Jan 20 – Jan 28||Jan 30||Jan 31||New Gibbons B1-2|
|SAS Honors Program (SASHP) Singles||Feb 5 – Feb 9||Feb 10||Feb 11||Brett, Lynton Towers|
- General Douglass Housing Options (Women Only): If you are interested in becoming a member of the Douglass Residential College and live in Jameson Hall, Henderson Apartments, or Woodbury Hall students must apply for a housing selection number, then submit a General Douglass Residential College Housing Application available from January 20 – January 28
- Living-Learning Douglass Housing Options (Women Only): If you are interested in becoming a member of the Douglass Residential College and live in one of the following communities: Bunting Cobb, Global Village, or Honors, please visit the Douglass Residential College website for further information and the application.
- For more information on living-learning, thematic, and other community options, please visit our special living options page.
A seniority/reverse seniority system is used within the housing selection process. Each student will receive points based on their class year. Class year will be determined by what is listed via your school affiliation on January 28, 2020.
- Eligibility order will be determined first by the total number of points the group has, then the lowest housing selection number within the group.
- The more total points a group has, the higher they will be on the eligibility list.
- The point system is reversed for doubles and suites, making that process “reverse seniority.”
- Single rooms will use total earned credits to determine eligibility, rather than class year.
|Class Year||Points||Class Year||Points|
- Residence Life guarantees housing to all rising sophomores.
- The Sojourner Truth and Livingston Apartments application will only be available to senior and junior class years.
- Pharmacy students should subtract two years from the class year, since they are in a six-year program. This will ensure pharmacy students have the proper points. For example, 2024 pharmacy students will actually be counted as having a 2022 class year.
Sign Up for a Housing Option
- Each housing option process has specific eligibility requirements and deadlines to apply.
- Complete and submit the required application according to the instructions for the particular housing you prefer.
- All students in a group will be required to complete an application for each housing option and indicate their requested roommates’ RUID numbers and full names.
- Once you commit to a space through digital signature, you are bound to your housing agreement and cannot participate in any other selection process. Take this into serious consideration before committing as your housing agreement cannot be cancelled unless you are withdrawing from the university.
Notification of Eligibility
- Once students sign up for a housing option, groups will be notified of their eligibility status by 5:00 p.m. on the day specified within the housing selection calendar.
- If the group is eligible to choose a room during the process, the website will indicate the specific date and time they may log in and choose a room.
Select a Space Online
If deemed eligible to select a space online, one person in the group (or yourself, if in a single) will be required to log into the application website and select a space for the group.
Please note: Only one member of the group is required to log into the system and select a space. All roommates within the group will receive a confirmation email once a space has been selected.
Students who do not apply during that time will not be eligible to participate in the housing selection process and must sign up for the waiting list starting the last week of March.
No. The date and time you apply does not affect your housing selection number.
If a student’s class year changes, our office will continue to use the original class year as of January 28, 2020 for housing selection purposes.
Recent studies indicate that students who reside on campus for the first two years of their academic career maintain higher overall GPAs than students who live off campus, higher levels of social support among their student peers, as well as display increased persistence towards graduation. Recognizing these positive effects, Residence Life guarantees housing to all rising sophomores.
If you are unsuccessful in obtaining your first choice of housing, please review the housing selection calendar to participate in future processes.
No. Once you commit to a space through digital signature, you are bound to your housing agreement and cannot participate in any other selection process. Take this into serious consideration before committing as your housing agreement cannot be cancelled unless you are withdrawing from the university.
No. Students may NOT sign back to their current space.
The Sojourner Truth and Livingston Apartments application will only be available to senior and junior class years. Refer to the section on seniority points to determine your chances of eligibility.
Single rooms will use total earned credits to determine eligibility, rather than class year. This means a majority of singles are assigned to seniors.
Special programs will be assigned in separate processes which will be specifically outlined by the community coordinators.
Yes. Students currently living off campus can take part in the housing selection process.