Meet the Staff
Demarest Hall is a traditional residence hall built in 1950. Demarest hosts a number of special interest sections focused on subjects in the arts, humanities, and social sciences. These groups foster an engaged and diverse community as well as a noted pride for living in Demarest. There is also a lot of variety in the dimensions and layout of rooms in Demarest, further contributing to its unique nature. Learn more about the room selection process and special interest living for Demarest Hall.
Type: Traditional Residence Hall
Number of Students: 170
Number of Floors: 3
Average Room Size: Varies
Availability: Continuing students, First-year students
Contract Type: Undergraduate Academic Year (Two Semesters)
Centrally located on College Avenue Campus, placing it adjacent to University services including: College Avenue Gym, Alexander Library, Brower Commons Dining Hall, Rutgers Student Center, Health Services, and academic buildings. A few shorts blocks to downtown New Brunswick and Easton Avenue.
- Vending machines
- Wifi throughout the building
- Reading Room/Small Library (2nd floor)
- Laundry facility
- Free expression room
- Building main lounge
- Flat screen televisions (with cable)
- Pool table, ping pong table
- Communal kitchen (with stove top and oven) (one in the building)
- Communal microwave, refrigerator, sink
- Communal bathroom (separated by gender)
- Communal bathroom (gender neutral) 2nd floor only
- Wheelchair ramp at the back of the building for access to the basement lounge only
What’s included in my room?
- Twin extra long bed and mattress
- Beds have the ability to be lofted
- Closet space
- Blinds or curtains
- Cable TV ready (in every room)
- Wifi in bedrooms
- Linoleum flooring
- Room sizes may vary
Demarest Hall Thematic Community
Located on the College Avenue Campus, Demarest offers the largest number and most varied special interest sections. These sections, which were established in 1966, can change each year based on student interest and initiative. Demarest Hall hosts 170 undergraduate students ranging from first-year to senior. Demarest residents have the option to contract into at least one of the nine special interest sections.
Important Information for living in Demarest Hall:
- Demarest Room Selection process will occur online through the Rutgers Room Selection Portal
All Demarest residents are expected to contract into at least one of the ten special interest sections.
- Anime Section: Dive into the world of Japanese Animation through discussions around popular and historic productions.
- Cinema Studies: Views, discusses, and critiques films of all genres.
- Creative Writing: Supports its members in the production of written work and exploring both theory and practice of writing styles.
- Feminism: Join fellow students in conversations, dialogues, and discussion around advocacy of women’s rights on the basis of equality of sexes, gender, and expression.
- History and Political Science: Discusses current and controversial issues with specific relevance to history and political science.
- Music Appreciation: Explores music genres through exhibition and discussion.
- Performing Arts: Introduction to and practice of different roles within the art forms of music, theater, dance etc.
- Philosophy: Expresses and exchanges ideas of a philosophical nature and introduces free thinkers with no background in the discipline to philosophical argument.
- Sex, Sexuality, and Gender: Explores theories and issues of sex and sexuality in the contexts of culture and society, and focuses on inclusivity. is open to everyone regardless of sexual orientation, background, or personal beliefs.
- Visual Arts: Committed to artistic freedom; Members explore various mediums and techniques for creating art as well as study, discuss, and critique historical and contemporary artistic trends.
Demarest members are expected to adhere to the following:
- Be an active presence in the floor/hall community
- Abide by all rules, regulations, policies, and procedures as outlined by the Department of Residence Life
- Participate in the development and growth of special interest housing at Rutgers University – New Brunswick
Programs and Activities
- Monthly Coffeehouses
- Art Shows
- Annual Drag Show
- Weekly Section Meetings & Activities
- Demarest Semi-Formal
- Battle of the Bands
- Demarest Reunion
Open to all class years and all majors.
For more general living-learning or thematic community information, please submit an interest form or call 848-932-4371 to speak with a staff member.