Due to COVID-19, we have removed the residential requirement, and have instead moved our learning communities online. Learn more about our offerings on the respective community’s page.
The School of Arts and Sciences (SAS) Transfer Knights program is a living-learning community dedicated to our incoming SAS transfer students who are interested in making connections with other new transfer students in similar academic fields. Additionally, Transfer Knights offer participation in educational and social programming specific to the unique needs of incoming transfers. Students in this program will also enjoy the benefits of co-enrolling in the required SAS Students in Transition Seminar (STS) course together. While the STS course is mandatory for all incoming transfer students, the course that Transfer Knights will be enrolled in offers a more specialized focus designed around their field of study and will be taught by an administrator or faculty member from those respective departments. This program is a partnership with the School of Arts & Sciences’ Office of Academic Services.
This community provides transfer students with the following benefits:
- Meet and connect with other new SAS transfer students
- Engagement by residence life staff to ensure a successful transition to Rutgers
- Networking opportunities with Rutgers faculty, staff, and continuing Rutgers students
- Enrollment in a concentrated communication, life sciences, or physical sciences section of the required one-credit “Students in Transition” Seminar (STS)
Open to new incoming School of Arts and Sciences transfer students pursuing one of the following majors: sciences or pre-med or communication/journalism.
- School of Communication & Information (SCI) – Communications, Journalism & Media Studies, Information Technology & Informatics
- STEM – Life Sciences (Biological sciences, CBN, MBB, Genetics) & Physical Sciences (Physics, Biochemistry, Math, Chemistry)
- Active participation in programs and activities designed for you by residence life staff
- Will be enrolled in a specialized, reserved section of the Students in Transition Seminar
(Note: This one-credit course is mandatory for all SAS transfer students, however, you will be enrolled in a special section of the class with fellow community members. The instructor of the course will be a faculty or school advisor affiliated with the academic theme of the community. They will serve as a special advisor to the community.)
Download a sample syllabus for the Students in Transition Seminar (SCI) community. Please note: Syllabi and Instructors change over time, so this may not be the exact syllabus or course content that you will take as a future participant.
Download a sample syllabus for the Students in Transition Seminar (STEM) community. Please note: Syllabi and Instructors change over time, so this may not be the exact syllabus or course content that you will take as a future participant.
- No application necessary! Students will be invited via email to accept their space in the SAS Transfer Knights Living-Learning Community based on information received from the SAS Transfer Center regarding intended major.
- Students should complete the acceptance form when they receive it via email.
- Students will be admitted on a rolling basis, first-come, first-served.