Student Support-01

Special Housing Accommodations

Rutgers Residence Life is committed to providing equal educational opportunity by supporting the full participation of all students in our campus community. We promote the ideals of diversity and inclusion by accommodating the various needs of our students who stay with us on campus. We do not discriminate in any University programs or activities and we prohibit the harassment of our community members.

Residence Life provides reasonable accommodations for on-campus university housing to students with documented disabilities. Students requesting reasonable accommodations for on-campus university housing must complete the Housing Disability Accommodation Request Form. Also, you will be required to have your treating professional fill out the Housing Disability Accommodation Request Form for Healthcare Professionals. Applications are reviewed by the appropriate medical, psychological, and/or professional staff. When a request is processed, the student will be notified of its status, and if approved, will receive an appropriate housing assignment based on vacancies available in housing at that time.

Students who need special housing accommodations should email with the nature of their request. Staff will not ask for more information than is needed to adequately review a request. All disclosed information will be kept as confidential as possible. Recognizing that students are not all alike, and have different needs and desires, Residence Life addresses each request on an individual, case-by-case basis.

While all special housing accommodations go directly through Residence Life, the University’s Office of Disability Services (ODS) receives and processes all academic accommodations. For more information about ODS, please visit their website.

New Students

Incoming first-year and transfer students should contact Residence Life promptly after their admission if they are in need of special housing accommodations. Please note that all incoming first-year and transfer students must still complete their general housing applications.

New students to Rutgers should must complete the Housing Disability Accommodation Request Form. Also, you will be required to have your treating professional fill out the Housing Disability Accommodation Request Form for Healthcare Professionals as soon as they apply for housing in early spring semester. Students should aim to have completed and submitted their forms by June 1st prior to the fall semester for which they require accommodations for on-campus university housing. All requests, including those received after June 1st, will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis as they are received.

Continuing Students

Continuing students should complete the Housing Disability Accommodation Request Form and have their treating professional fill out the Housing Disability Accommodation Request Form for Healthcare Professionals. Setting up an accommodation may take different amounts of time depending on the time of year the request is received. Students will be contacted about approvals, the need for more information, or discrepancies with provided documentation and/or requests.


  • October-November: Formal special housing accommodation applications for the following academic year due. All students will be emailed information on this process in October.
  • December: Students with special housing accommodation applications are offered an appropriate space for the next academic year. Students with offers must accept before winter break.
  • January-March: All students must go through the general housing lottery
  • March-August: Students not receiving what they need through the general lottery can contact Student Support for assistance with housing. Options will be limited at this time and roommate requests at this time cannot always be granted.
  • Documentation is always accepted on a rolling basis

Additional Information

  • Students will be registered when conditions are permanent. Students with medical documentation stating a temporary condition will need to send revised documentation prior to the formal SHA process to be included. Students with temporary conditions can visit for assistance as well.
  • Air conditioning units are very limited and are not as effective as air-cooled buildings for alleviating symptoms of medical conditions.
  • Students can choose to update their medical documentation at any time should they believe that they are in need of different accommodations.

Accommodation Examples

Examples of accommodations include, but are not limited to:

  • Access to air-cooled and/or non-carpeted spaces
  • Access to kitchen amenities
  • 1st floor assignments or access to elevators
  • Reduced-access bathrooms
  • Modifications to traditional rooms and apartment spaces
  • Student A has dust allergies and asthma. Their doctor recommends that they are provided a space that has air-cooling and no carpeting to limit the effects of his conditions. They are placed into an air-cooled building that has no carpeting in the rooms.
  • Student B has a medical condition that requires easy and quick access to a bathroom. Their medical documentation vouched for the need for reduced access to a bathroom, or a bathroom in housing that would be used by less people than that of a communal bathroom.
  • Student C has anxiety disorder and Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. The student and their doctor agree that a single room would be the best housing option for them in order to manage their conditions.
Student Support Dog-02


  • A service animal is any dog (some exceptions for a miniature horse) that is individually trained to do work or perform tasks for the benefit of an individual with a disability, including a physical, sensory, psychiatric, intellectual, or other mental disability.
  • A support animal is an animal in which its very nature and mere presence, and without specific training, may relieve and/or help reduce psychologically or emotionally induced pain in persons with certain medical or psychological conditions.
  • We ask that students needing service animals inform Residence Life so we are aware of the need for an animal in a particular space, and so we can assist with any other needs that the students may have.
  • Students requesting support animals need to engage in an approval process through the Office of Disability Services. Please follow this link to complete an ODS intake form, once completed you will be contacted by the office for next steps.
  • Students with approved animals are not required to or entitled to live in any specific locations on campus. Students with approved animals may also engage in the SHA process if they are medically in need of a specific type of space.
  • We have two organizations on campus that we partner with to train and house service dogs-in-training: the Seeing Eye Puppy Club and the Rutgers Companion Animal Club. Seeing Eye Puppy Club members reside in the Newell Apartments and Rutgers Companion Animal Club members live across the campuses. We have a vibrant community of animals!