Located on the College Avenue Campus, Demarest offers the largest number and most varied special interest sections. These sections, which were established in 1966, can change each year based on student interest and initiative. All Special Interest Sections have a mixture of first year students and upper class students. All Demarest residents are expected to contract into at least one of the nine special interest sections. Demarest sections include:
- Creative Writing: Supports its members in the production of written work and exploring both theory and practice of writing styles.
- Performing Arts: Introduction to and practice of different roles within the art forms of music, theater, dance etc.
- Visual Arts: Committed to artistic freedom; Members explore various mediums and techniques for creating art as well as study, discuss, and critique historical and contemporary artistic trends.
- Sex, Sexuality, and Gender: Explores theories and issues of sex and sexuality in the contexts of culture and society, and focuses on inclusivity. is open to everyone regardless of sexual orientation, background, or personal beliefs.
- History and Political Science: Discusses current and controversial issues with specific relevance to history and political science.
- Philosophy: Expresses and exchanges ideas of a philosophical nature and introduces free thinkers with no background in the discipline to philosophical argument.
- Cinema Studies: Views, discusses, and critiques films of all genres.
- Music Appreciation: Explores music genres through exhibition and discussion.
Demarest members are expected to adhere to the following:
- Be an active presence in the floor/hall community
- Abide by all rules, regulations, policies, and procedures as outlined by the Department of Residence Life
- Participate in the development and growth of special interest housing at Rutgers University
Sign a Special Interest Section contract that outlines the aforementioned expectations
For additional information, please visit the Living Learning Communities website at rulc.rutgers.edu.
If you have any questions regarding this Special Interest Section, please email Ayanna Winters at firstname.lastname@example.org, or contact the College Avenue Residence Life Office at (848) 932-7209.
Important Information for living in Demarest Hall for the 2017-2018 academic year:
- Demarest Hall Application completed by January 27th, at 11:59pm
- Attend the Demarest Hall, Room Selection Process February 8, 6pm-9pm, Demarest Hall Lounge