Located on the College Avenue Campus, Demarest offers the largest number and most varied special interest sections. These sections, which were established in 1966, can change each year based on student interest and initiative. All Special Interest Sections have a mixture of first year students and upper class students. All Demarest residents are expected to contract into at least one of the nine special interest sections. Demarest sections for the 2013-2014 year include:
- Creative Writing: This special interest section supports its members in the production of written work and exploring both theory and practice of writing styles.
- Performing Arts: This special interest section explores talent with peers in art forms including music, dance, theater, and others.
- Visual Arts: This special interest section is committed to artistic freedom. The section members believe that the fun is in the "work". Members explore various mediums and techniques for creating art as well as study, discuss, and critique historical and contemporary artistic trends.
- Culture Studies: This special interest section is an interdisciplinary section geared toward advanced thinking about culture. The section will examine culture through sociological, anthropological, scientific, and political lenses.
- Sex, Sexuality, and Gender: This special interest section explores theories and issues of sex and sexuality in the contexts of culture and society, and is open to everyone regardless of sexual orientation, background, or personal beliefs.
- History and Political Science: This special interest section is an interactive forum where members raise and discuss current and controversial issues with specific relevance to history and political science.
- Philosophy: This special interest section provides interested students with a forum to express and exchange ideas of a philosophical nature and to introduce free thinkers with no background in the discipline to philosophical argument, all in an open, eclectic, and diverse living environment.
- Cinema Studies: In this special interest section films are viewed, discussed, and critiqued. All genres are welcome, and an engaging time is had by all.
- Religion and Spirituality: This special interest section allows students to express their beliefs and culture while learning about the beliefs of their peers. A warm, non-denominational community has been created through activities and personal interactions to foster discussions and personal growth.
Demarest members are expected to adhere to the following:
- Be an active presence in the floor/hall community
- Abide by all rules, regulations, policies, and procedures as outlined by the Office of Housing & Residence Life
- Participate in the development and growth of special interest housing at Rutgers University
- Sign a Special Interest Section contract that outlines the aforementioned expectations
If you have any questions regarding this Special Interest Section, please email Residence Life Coordinator Ariel Leget at firstname.lastname@example.org, or contact the College Avenue Residence Life Office at (848) 932-7209.