I. Apply for a Lottery Number
- All eligible students who wish to live on the New Brunswick campus are required to apply for a lottery number between Monday, January 20th, 2014 and Tuesday, January 28th, 2014. The date and time you apply does not affect your lottery number.
- Once your lottery application is complete, a confirmation email will be sent to your email account on file with the Residence Life Assignments Office. If you do not receive an email within 24 hours, please contact the Assignments Office at (848)-445-0750.
- After the application period ends on January 28th, all students who have submitted an application will be randomly assigned a computer-generated lottery number. This number will be used throughout all the selection processes.
- All applicants will receive notification of their lottery number via email on Thursday, January 30th, 2014.
- Once you receive a lottery number, please be sure to review the housing options section of this website and the lottery calendar to participate in each process. Students may not participate in any sign up process, including special programs, without a lottery number.
- Residents who do not apply for a lottery number by January 28th will not be eligible to participate in the lottery process and must sign up for the waiting list the first week in April.
Please note: This lottery application is an agreement to reside on campus for the 2014 – 2015 year but is not binding until you select a housing space online, or are assigned a space through a special process.
II. Sign Up for a Housing Option
- There are many housing options to consider during the lottery process including living in a special interest community (Douglass Residential College, Mason Gross, SAS Honors, and other special programs), or signing up for a single, suite, apartment, or double room.
- Each housing option process has specific eligibility requirements and deadlines to apply. Students are encouraged to review the housing options section of this website and the Lottery Calendar to participate in a process. Failure to complete the entire process will disqualify a group from the living option.
- When you determine what type of housing you will be applying for, complete and submit the required application according to the instructions for the particular housing you choose.
- If you are unsuccessful in obtaining your first choice of housing, please review the Lottery Calendar to participate in future processes.
- Once you choose a space, you are bound to your Housing Agreement you digitally signed within the lottery application and cannot participate in any other selection process. Take this into serious consideration before committing as your Housing Agreement cannot be cancelled unless you are withdrawing from the university.
III. Notification of Eligibility
- Once students sign up for a housing option, groups will be notified of their eligibility status by 5:00pm on the day specified within the Lottery Calendar.
- If the group is eligible to choose a room during the process, the website will indicate the specific date and time they may log in and choose a room.
Important: Please be sure to pay close attention to the log in day and time for your group to ensure you do not miss an opportunity to select your preferred building.
IV. Seniority Explanation
This year we will be using a seniority system within the lottery process. Each student will receive points based on their class year, as outlined below. Class year will be determined on January 30th. If a students class year changes, the office will continue to use the original class year as of January 30th for lottery purposes.
- Eligibility order will be determined first by the total number of points the group has, then the lowest lottery number within the group.
- This means that the more points a group has, the higher they will be on the eligibility list.
- The point system is reversed for Doubles and Suites, making that process “reverse seniority”.
|Apartments||Doubles and Suites|
|Class Year||Points||Class Year||Points|
|2014 & 2015||4||2018||4|
|2018||1||2014 & 2015||1|
**Pharmacy students should subtract 2 years from the class year, since they are in a 6 year program. This will ensure pharmacy students have the proper points. (ie, 2018 pharmacy students will actually be counted as having a 2016 class year.)
Keep in mind, while you do not need to make a full group for an apartment, suite, or double, it is definitely in your best interest as it will give your group more points! Click here for more details.
V. Select an Apartment / Room Online
- Students will have the option of selecting their apartment, suite or double room online (excluding some special programs) and receiving immediate confirmation of their selection.
- Once notification is received that a group is eligible to select a room online, one person in the group will be required to log into the application website and select a room for the group.
Please note: Only one member of the group is required to log into the system and select a room. All roommates within the group will receive a confirmation email once a space has been selected.
- Students who are unavailable to log in during the specified time can submit an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and ask to designate the Residence Life Assignments Office to select their room. Students must submit an email by 4:00pm the day before their selection time.
Important: Since students are now selecting their housing online, we are unable to offer a proxy to designate another student to select your room as that would require the designee to have access to your sensitive log in information.
For questions regarding the lottery process please contact the Residence Life Assignments Office at email@example.com or call 848-445-0750.