new students1

Getting Started

How do I apply for housing?

Incoming students are directed by Admissions to fill out their housing contract via the Admissions Enrollment Pathway.

Where is the best place to live?

We’ve heard from our students that they love wherever they live, and for various reasons. Each campus offers something different. Busch is a suburban campus with many first-year students as well as special living options related to the many science and engineering academic departments on campus. College Avenue is the most urban campus and is close to downtown New Brunswick and student-centered shopping and dining. Cook/Douglass offers a wooded landscape and is home to programs in biology, environmental studies, animal sciences, and the arts. Livingston is a suburban but rapidly growing campus with many modern amenities and brand-new spaces for hanging out with friends.

Are students guaranteed housing?

No student is guaranteed housing, however, Residence Life has never had an issue housing every first-year student that has requested housing by the June application deadline (indicated in the enrollment pathway portal).

I am a transfer student. How do my housing application preferences work?

Transfer students preference their campus and their housing type (single, double, suite-style, apartment) in their housing application. This is different from first year students who can only preference their campus.

What does my confirmation e-mail mean?

After you fill out the housing application, you will receive a confirmation e-mail. This e-mail verifies that your application was submitted.

How are incoming students assigned housing?

Housing for new students is assigned on a first-come, first-served basis, so students should apply as early as possible. Although students have the ability to indicate their housing preferences within the application, based on available space at the time of submission, there is no guarantee a student will be assigned to the campus/building of their choice.

What is the cost of living on campus?

The cost of living on campus can be found here. Costs differ between on-campus residences, with apartments typically costing more than traditional residence halls. Annual cost increases are announced around the first of August. If you are reading this prior to August 1st the costs are most likely from the previous academic year and should be expected to rise slightly due to tuition and cost increases.

Can I change information on my housing application?

You can change anything on your application as many times as you want before the deadline in July. Changing information does not affect your application submission date used when making room assignments.

When will I find out my housing assignment?

Assignments for first year and transfer students are released the second week of August. Students receive an email directing them to a website to view their assignment and roommate information.

Roommates/Living Options

How am I assigned a roommate?

Students submit their lifestyle preferences when filling out the housing application. These factors are used to best match appropriate roommates.

I am a first year student. Can I room with my friend who is an upper class student?

First year students can only request to room with other first year students.

Are there any special living options?

Yes! Rutgers has over forty different on-campus communities for students of all academic backgrounds and special interests. There are various deadlines for applications so learn more here!

Are all residence halls co-ed?

Most of our residence halls are co-ed by room, meaning that male students will live next door to female students on the same floor or house. There are four all-female spaces through the Douglass Residential College (DRC) on the Cook/Douglass campus, as well as a floor of all female engineering students in the Busch suites. All of these single-gender living options can be requested through the special living options portion of the housing application.

Is it possible to request a room change? If so, how?

Students can begin requesting room changes during the third week of each semester. Students can follow this link and login to the room change form. A staff member will contact you via email or in person to review options. Residence Life will also try to work out any issues between roommates by having the RA and other staff members hold discussions before granting a room change.

Can I request a roommate?

Yes. All roommate requests must be mutual, so please guarantee that each roommate has applied accordingly. It is also highly recommended that roommates submit their housing applications on the same date to ensure their applications are processed together.

I am a transfer student. Can I room with my friend who is an incoming first year student or who is an upper class student?

Transfer students can only request to room with other transfer students.

What if I need to live on College Avenue because I need to live near Chabbad or Hillel?

These students should contact the assignments office at 848-445-0750 to notify them of the special need, and then apply through the housing application as usual, giving preference to College Avenue Campus.

Does Rutgers offer any gender neutral housing options?

Yes. Rutgers is one of over 50 universities with gender neutral housing options. At Rutgers, it is a pilot program created in response to requests from the LGBTQ community and is intended to create accepting living environments, not spaces for romantic couples. Gender neutral bathrooms are secured for use only by those living in the community, and include latchable shower doors instead of curtains for additional privacy.

Moving In/Amenities

Will there be assistance during move-in for students?

Yes! The Move In Team will be active on each campus to help guide and direct students to their halls, help carry belongings, and otherwise assist the move in process. Residence Life advises that any fragile boxes or valuable materials be transported by the students and their families instead of the student assistants. Campus police will also be around each campus to direct cars and traffic to appropriate unloading and parking zones.

What happens if immunizations and other medical documents have not been submitted by the move-in date?

We take the health and safety of our residents very seriously. If students are not medically cleared through health services with immunizations and other medical documents, they will be unable to get their assignment in August.

Is there wireless access in the residence hall rooms?

All of our residence hall rooms and common spaces have wireless access.

Are there laundry facilities in each residence hall?

Each residence hall has laundry facilities that cater to those communities. The cost is $1.50 to wash and $1.50 to dry a load of laundry. Students can pay using quarters or their RU Express account attached to their RUConnection card.

Can I bring a small refrigerator?

Each room is provided with a refrigerator with a freezer. No other refrigerators are allowed.

Is there Internet in the rooms?

All residence halls also have wireless access in the common area lounges and rooms.

Are there a landline phones in residence hall rooms?

There are no landline phones in the residence hall rooms.

What should I bring with me when I move in?

A list of suggested items to bring with you when you move onto campus as well as a list of prohibited items can be found here.

Is it possible to move in after the date designated for them?

The date provided for move in is the earliest students can move into their assigned spaces. Students can choose to move in at this time or at any time after this time-frame. However, it is advised to move in some time before the first day of classes so that you are settled and checked in with the RA.

Are the amenities of the bathroom provided by Rutgers?

Most first year students will live in a community with a shared bathroom on the floor where they will reside. This shared bathroom will be cleaned daily and hand soap and toilet paper will be provided. Students living in suite style housing (such as first year students in B.E.S.T. or McCormick) and apartment style housing are responsible for the cleaning of and toiletries supply in their bathrooms for the unit.

What comes standard in every room?

Every room has a bed frame, mattress, dresser, desk, desk chair, wardrobe/closet per person living in the room.

Can I bring a microwave?

Microwaves are prohibited in residence halls, suites, or apartments that are equipped with a Microfridge/microwave. In the event an apartment/suite does not come equipped with a microwave/microfridge in the room or a communal space, students are permitted to bring their own.

Is there cable TV in the rooms?

Yes, and it is included in the cost of housing. Students must bring their own coaxial cable and television to connect to the cable outlet in the room. Please click here for more information about connecting to RU-tv.

Are the residence hall rooms air conditioned?

We have a variety of residence halls on our four campuses. Some have traditional air conditioning, some are air cooled, and some do not have air conditioning.


What is the policy regarding hanging things in the room?

We want you to decorate your room to make it feel as comfortable as possible. Nothing can be hung from the ceiling or any sprinkler or fire suppression equipment. All posters and wall hangings should be hung with non-permanent tape or hooks and should cover no more than thirty percent of the wall space in the room for fire safety reasons. Decoration lights can be hung if they are UL approved and unplugged when no one is present in the room.

What security measures are in place in the residence halls?

All entrances and exits are equipped with cameras that are linked back to the Rutgers Police Department. These cameras are also monitored by undergraduate student supervisors during evening shifts. All buildings require students to swipe their ID cards to enter, and only residents of a building have access to swipe into that building.

What do I do if I lock myself out of my room?

During normal business hours, Monday through Friday – 8:30AM to 5:00PM, students can go to their campus Residence Life office to sign out a key for their room. After 5:00PM or on the weekends, students can contact the staff member that is on call (numbers will be posted in each hall) to gain access to their room. If necessary, steps will be taken to change locks to inhibit anyone who should not have access from entering the students’ residence hall rooms. Students can also access a lockout application on their phone via our mobile site, This application will provide them the phone number to call to help them get back into their rooms.

Is there a curfew for students?

Residence Life treats all of its residents as adults and does not impose a curfew. However, a schedule of quiet hours are strictly enforced to maintain respect in the community.

Can I loft the bed in my room?

Students can loft or bunk beds if both roommates agree on the furniture arrangement and the configuration of the room allows for lofting and bunking. In many residence halls, beds cannot be lofted or bunked for safety reasons that include, but are not limited to, the proximity of lofted and bunked beds to room amenities and safety equipment such as ceiling fans, fire alarms and fire sprinklers. If you wish to have your beds lofted or bunked, contact your local housing office with your building and room number for additional information.

What is the policy regarding guest visitation?

Guests are allowed in the room with the approval of all occupants of the room/suite/apartment. Overnight guests must be approved to be in the room by both roommates, and they can stay for a maximum of three consecutive nights. Guests in the halls after 8PM must sign with the community assistant desk in areas where these desks are available. To read the full guest policy please follow this link.

How do students gain access to their halls?

Students’ access will be activated as part of their RUConnection card. Students will use these cards to swipe at access card readers to gain entry to their residence hall. In order to visit another residence hall, a student must be let in by a resident of that hall.

What do I do if I lose my RUConnection card and cannot get into my building?

During normal business hours, Monday through Friday – 8:30AM to 5:00PM, students can go to their campus Residence Life office to purchase another ID card except those living on College Ave. College Ave. students must go Records Hall. After 5:00PM or on the weekends, students can contact the staff member that is on call (the on-call schedule and phone numbers are posted in each hall) to gain access to their building and discuss solutions until they can get a new RUConnection card. If necessary, steps will be taken to remove access from the card to inhibit anyone who should not have access from entering residence halls.

Can I smoke (electronic)/cigarettes in my room?

Smoking is prohibited inside buildings in New Jersey, and therefore smoking is prohibited within the residence halls. Learn more about the smoking policy.


How can a student get in contact with their resident/apartment assistant (RA/AA) or a professional Residence Life staff member?

Each residence assistant will post information on how to contact him/her and other Residence Life staff members in community areas. Every campus has a Residence Life Office that is staffed from 8:30AM to 5:00PM. Walk-ins are welcome in each office or students can call these offices with the following numbers:

Busch: 848-445-2561
College Avenue: 848-932-7209
Cook/Douglass: 848-932-9363
Livingston: 848-445-4086

Each campus office has a Campus Director (CD) who oversees the residential communities on that given campus and the Residence Life Coordinators (RLC) who oversee smaller residential areas on each campus. If a student needs to contact any staff after 5:00PM, an emergency number will be posted in each residence hall or the students can call 848-932-7211 and campus police will assist them with an emergency. For medical/life safety emergencies after hours, please call 911.

Is there summer housing for students?

Summer housing is available for students enrolled in courses or involved in academic research at the University. Applications will go live in mid-March. Information will be advertised via and on social media via,,

Do students need to move out over breaks?

Students do not need to move their belongings out of residence halls over Thanksgiving, Winter Break, and Spring Break, but most residence halls close and students cannot be in these buildings during these breaks. Some residence halls remain open over breaks for students who need to remain on campus for these periods of time; visiting international students are an example of students that would be eligible to take advantage of this opportunity. All students must move out of their rooms after the academic year is complete, typically in early May.

Can I cancel my housing contract?

Housing contracts are signed for an academic year. Select reasons qualify for release from the contract, including long-term hospitalization, death of an immediate family member, withdrawal from the university, induction into active military service, and other extenuating circumstances. Students can request cancellation of their contract by emailing to attempt to cancel their contract.